Friday, December 6, 2013

1st time mom review series // hospital bag checklist

Here is my original list of items that I had pulled together from various resources including our prenatal classes, Google searches, online checklists, friends and family members - along with notes on what actually happened :)

I know, I know - it looks like I was planning on packing for a month long trip to Europe but I just kept an on-going list while I was pregnant of all the "tips" that people give you along the way. You will quickly see what worked and what didn't.
  • Baby "Wear Home Outfit" My mom bought baby Charlotte an adorable Carter's newborn sweatsuit for us to bring her home in. It was a hit and I am so glad we had a special outfit for her that fit ... almost.
  • Bathing Suit for Dad My water broke two weeks early so my husband didn't have anything put together for himself. This was not necessary.
  • Birth Outfit (PJ pants, sports bra, nursing tank or nightgown) I wore a hospital gown until I thought I was transported to hell because it was so hot, and then I was naked. Don't bother ruining any of your own clothes.
  • Birth Plan We only had a few requests and just talked to the nurse when we got to the hospital. Didn't have anything in writing.
  • Book/Kobo/Magazines Like there would have been a time to read anyways.
  • Breast Pads Unless you have a C-section, you will be home before these are even necessary.
  • Breastfeeding Pillow I couldn't be bothered and I only started using mine in the last week or so.
  • Breath Mints They say this helps with your dry mouth during labour but they really just helped my husband's breath.
  • Camera A MUST.
  • Camera Charger A MUST.
  • Car Seat A MUST. Install early in the vehicle you will be taking to the hospital. Like a month early just in case.
  • Chapstick/Lip Gloss A MUST. For the hospital and when you get home. Your lips will get dry.
  • Diapers Play dumb and anything you think the hospital can provide, don't pack. Why not get the most out of your experience?
  • Face Cloth I brought but did not use.
  • Facial Towels I brought but did not use.
  • Fan I didn't bring one but if I knew what my experience was going to be, I would have thought about it because I was so hot while I was pushing. In two minutes I was butt naked and a nurse had to fan me with a piece of paper.
  • Flip Flops I brought but did not use. Yes the hospital floor is disgusting but it is cool and feels good on the soles of your feet.
  • Hair Dryer/Straightener I didn't bring but wish I had.
  • Gatorade/Water We packed a cooler full of drinks and I was so happy to have Gatorade because if not, I would have had to have water or watered down apple juice the whole time. And the water was nice so that we didn't have to call a nurse or venture to the kitchen for more.
  • Glasses A must for me.
  • Baby Blanket Used one to keep baby girl warm on the way home and another two receiving blankets to use as a head rest in the car seat.
  • Ice Paks I brought but did not use.
  • iPhone Charger A must.
  • Labour Notes We did a series of prenatal classes and I brought all my notes with me. Didn't refer to them much but was glad I had them.
  • Loofa I brought but did not use.
  • Make-Up I brought but did not use.
  • Massager We had a hand massager and my husband used it on me for a bit but it wouldn't have been a big deal if it wasn't there.
  • Mom "Wear Home Outfit" New yoga pants and a yoga jacket did the trick for me!
  • Music
  • Note Pad/Pen I brought but did not use.
  • Nursing Bra They suggest going shopping for nursing bras after the baby is born but I had a friend give me two so I brought them with me. They did the trick but oh how I miss underwire!
  • Onsies I brought three onesies with me - newborn size. Everyone said to bring a few newborn outfits "just in case" but it turns out she was swimming in all of them so what I really needed was a few preemie outfits.
  • Pillows A must for you and your husband/partner. Hospital pillows suck!
  • Purse/Wallet Put on the list so you don't forget!
  • Underwear It is amazing how much blood there is. Sorry - it's a fact. I bought some extra cotton undies but actually wore the mesh underwear/pad contraptions they give you at the hospital. Some people say
  • Robe I was really glad I had a light, cotton robe with me for breastfeeding in the beginning because I had zero clue what I was doing. I would go out and buy some nicer nursing clothes if we plan on a #2 in the future.
  • Slippers I brought but did not use. See above flip flop comments.
  • Snacks for Mom and Dad I have never been more hungry in my life! Snacks are a must because nothing is open late at night.
  • Socks I brought but did not use. See above flip flop and slipper comments.
  • TENA Pads Use the hospitals. And take extras home.
  • Toilet Paper Use the hospitals. And take extras home.
  • Toiletry Bag I always have one ready to go so this was easy for me to grab and it had everything I needed in it.
  • Towels I brought but did not use.
  • Unscented Lotion for Massages I brought but did not use.
What was your must have for your trip to the hospital?

Are you a 1st Time Mom and trying to figure it out as you go along too? Feel free to leave me a comment with any questions and I will be more than happy to get back to you. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a message - I love and appreciate the feedback. Please don't leave spam comments. They will be removed immediately. Cheers!